1 box of yellow cake mix plus required ingredients
1 large can of crushed pineapple, undrained
2 cups sugar
1 box of jello instant vanilla pudding plus required ingredients
1 (8 oz.) block of cream cheese, at room temperature
4 large bananas
1 large container of Cool Whip
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup coconut flakes
1 jar maraschino cherries
Tip: If you would like to cut down on the calories, use fat-reduced cream cheese and light Cool Whip.
Preparation (30 minutes plus baking and cooling time for cake):
1. Following the instructions on the box and substituting milk for water, prepare yellow cake. Bake cake in a deep 9 x 13-inches pan (preferrably made of glas, for serving purposes) and let cool. Using a serrated knife, cut a thin slice off the top of cake.
2. In a small pot, bring undrained pineapple and sugar to a boil. Using the handle of a wooden spoon, punch big holes in cake and poor the hot mixture on cake.
3. While the pineapple mixture gets absorbed by the cake, prepare pudding according to directions on the box. Beat in cream cheese and spread mixture on top of pineapple layer.
4. Peel and slice bananas and put on top of pudding/cream cheese mixture.
5. Using a rubber spatula, evenly cover bananas with Cool Whip.
6. Sprinkle chopped pecans and coconut flakes over cake and decorate with cherries.
To top it all off, put some Redi Whip between cherries ... enjoy!