Ingredients (to serve 4):
1 tablespoon margarine or butterPreparation (about 25 minutes):
1 onion, diced
1 (8-ounce) package mushrooms
1/4 cup flour
3 1/2 cups milk (if desired, 2% reduced-fat)
2 cups red potatoes in 1/2-inch cubes
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 can (16-ounce) whole-kernel corn, drained
1 1/2 cups shredded ready-to-eat roasted chicken breast
Tip: Leave out the chicken and you have a great vegetarian dish!
1. Melt the margarine or butter in a 3-quart saucepan. Add the onion and sauté until the onions are soft. Add the sliced mushrooms and sauté for three to five more minutes.
2. Stir in the flour. Gradually add the milk, stirring with a whisk.
3. Add the potatoes, thyme, salt, pepper, and corn and bring to a boil.
4. Stir in the shredded chicken; cover with a lid, reduce heat, and simmer for about 15 minutes.
5. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and thyme.
Finished! Ladle the soup into bowls and ... enjoy!